Sunday, April 5, 2009

My Son the Poolie





Yesterday we had a going away party for Josh in anticipation of his departure next week. I can honestly say this is one of the hardest things I've ever gone through, just letting go. I guess it would be the same if he was going away to college, but at least I'd get to see him during breaks and such. Now, I'm not sure when the next time I'll see him. I don't know how Mom did it, all those many years ago, leaving Judi in CA to start her life and us coming to VA. Guess this is all part of the growing up process, but it really stinks. In retrospect, the last 19 years have flown by, my little boy will be leaving as a young man and coming back a Marine. He'll be going to bootcamp in Parris Island, SC and you can bet your last dollar I'll be there, if I have to crawl the 7 1/2 hours! The emotions are running high and it definitely will be the shortest week of my life. So bear with me the next 13 weeks, it's gonna be a roller coaster ride from everything I've read.

I am so very proud of him, this wonderful piece of my life making such a big decision. He's been an incredible son so I know he'll make an awesome Marine.

6 comments:

Gary ("Old Dude") said...

I recall my own emotions when I too left home and went off into the world on my own----a mix of excitement, satisfaction overlayed with a lot of ----"what the hell am I doing out here without a net!", but one quickly becomes one's own man, and we make our way. Josh has made a good decision, which will get him off to a great life, be pleased for him.

Wendy said...

I wish him only the Best! I had a nice time yesterday.

Judi said...

We are very proud of him. Keep us posted on the mail situation.

Michele said...

Best wishes to Josh! And you as well...it'll be tough but you'll get thru it:-)

Mandy said...

Hey Carol...I know you are worried silly, but you obviously have a good man on your hands. I pray Josh stays safe...I am sure he will represent our great country well. Not only thank you to Josh, but thank you to you, Carol, for raising a young man with such values to want to protect his country. Stay strong, Mama!

Lexi said...

I am glad to hear that yesterday went so well. Tell Josh that He better be safe. I know that this is going to be really hard on you, I am praying that you find the strength that you need to let him go. I love you and I will keep Josh in my prayers always!